Monday, January 2, 2012

I am Your Frobassador!

When I'm painting a picture of myself that I want people to believe, I say that I started this blog to share my natural hair journey and possibly inspire others. How spiritual of me!

If I am being totally honest, I have to admit that another (possibly greater reason) I started this blog was to make myself accountable to others and follow through on the journey once I began it. In the beginning, I wasn't sure I was cut out for this. I wasn't sure I was ready to accept the unknown. But, hear I am several months after beginning the journey and more than two months after the big chop.

And I find it interesting how many other people find my hair interesting.

November 2011
I have become an ambassador of the Afro Nation - or Frobassador, for short. While people won't stare at my hair, I do find that my hair quickly becomes a topic of conversation when I meet someone new or run into a friend I haven't seen in a while. People want to know what it's like in my country where natural hair runs wild and free (at least metaphorically). How does one apply for permanent residency? Do you have to renounce your citizenship in Processed Hair Land?

Talking is one of the things I do best, and I never mind talking about what's going on in my life so I am happy to talk about my hair. It's interesting that people are more interesting in my hair now than they were when I relaxed it. The natural is novel. The processed is commonplace and, therefore less interesting. Even though I out more effort into my relaxed hair. When my hair was relaxed, I will admit, it usually looked pretty good. But it looked like so many other heads of hair. In it's natural state, there is no other hair like MY hair. And everyday, it's a little bit different.

So when people ask about my hair (How long have you worn it this way? How long does it take to style in the morning? Do you think you'll ever go back to relaxers?) and even touch my lovey lady locs, I'm happy to share. My hair is different, but not so different from anyone elses' hair. It's made from the same proteins and minerals. It's just has a different directive. It's nothing to fear.

I was fortunate to have to Frobassadors inspire me to take a leap: my sister Mary Dedeaux-Swinton and a dear friend Tosca Davis. Whether it's about hair or some other "great unknown," I hope I can inspire someone else to talk a flying leap!

Happy to be nappy!

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel you, StephyD. I grew up with hella short hair - and when I was out of college, I decided to let it grow. And grow. And grow. Learned a lot about me from my hair. Loved my 'Fro and really miss it. Grew it out twice - and even got cornrows. The last time I did something with my hair was a mohawk. At a major newspaper. Yes. Folks couldn't understand it and often stopped me and expressed how they felt about my hair. I promptly put them in my place. In one day, I had 40 comments - all from different folks - about my dome. I loved the attention so much, but felt it was time to revert back to ballhead fade. Meh. I may grow it out one more time - get it pressed and walk around like Supa Fly ;)

    Excellent post. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete