Monday, November 28, 2011

Did She Go There Already?!

Shock! Panic! Horror!

At 37 years old, I've just been through the amazing process of rediscovering my natural hair. You can't imagine what I felt tonight when my nine year old daughter tells me that she would like to try wearing her hair straight.

Before I went through this process, there were times I contemplated getting her hair texturized -- which is to say "slightly relaxed" -- a "kiddy perm" to make it easier to manage. I remember what it was like to be her age and to dread combing through my hair after having it washed. I've tried to make the experience easier for her. At the same time, she's my child and I want to protect her.

My rational mind knows this is a minor issue. It's only hair. It's normal for her to want to try something new; especially having seen me for years with relaxed straightened hair.

The idea seems a little less horrifying now that she's asleep and I've had some time to think about it. We could try straightening her hair for a special occasion. She's due for a trim soon.

She did make an important distinction: she would like to try straightening her hair -- not relaxing it.

2 comments:

  1. I love her hair! Maybe it's just a style request and not a dislike of her hair. That's my hope. My hair is blown out maybe 4 times a year and I love it. I don't have the patience to get it straightened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her hair too! But she's not there yet. I definitely think her interest in straightening her hair was sparked by curiosity and not just frustration. While I have the tools to straighten her hair, neither of us has the patience for me to do it. The next blog post will probably be a post about what happens at the hairdressers... TBC

    ReplyDelete