Monday, January 16, 2012

Struggling with Sameness

Of all the challenges I expected to face in my natural hair journey, boredom didn't make the list. But here I am, three months after the big chop, and every day has seen the same with this hair. Eighty-three days of teeny weeny Afros.

In fashion and retail, this is the time of year when winter lines are moved out and spring lines make their debut. Change is in the air! Change is not in my hair. 

I like having options. I like trying new looks with my clothes, make up, jewelry and hair. I'm not really sure how I should feel or what I should do about it, because I wasn't prepared for this kind of doubt. I prepared myself for external pressures. I prepared myself for the ardent quest to find the "perfect" products for my hair.

The Internet is full of ideas for natural hair styles, right? Sure, the Internet is full of hair tutorials. Have I ever mentioned how inept I've always been at styling my own hair. Tutorials for bantu knots, twits, and the like are my DIY nightmare. 

If I'm being honest with myself, I would admit that my dilemma could stem from unrealistic expectations I had about this journey at the onset. Although I knew that I would have to become acquainted with my natural hair texture over time, underneath it all I guess I expected my hair to be more manageable than it is right now. I didn't expect to have trouble keeping it moisturized throughout the day. I didn't expect that my headbands would give me headaches (at least the cute ones do).

The best I can do right now is just think about where I am in my journey. What have I learned in the last three months? What am I looking forward to? What do I do now?

3 comments:

  1. I was in styling challenged when I first started on my journey also, I found that but doing challenges I was forced to practice and improve upon my styling. I recommend focusing on a few styles at a time and when you have them down then move on to different ones. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, so much Tia! So often we expect instant gratification and I guess I;m no different when it comes to my hair. I will think about this and try to have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something that helped me is changeing my perception and definition of "unmanageable". That too is word I had to unlearn. Many times we are still trying to "manage" our hair the same way we did when it was straight. I had to change my mindset. When I did, all was right in the world. Hope that helps. There is blog about this somewhere. If I find it, I will post.

    ReplyDelete